Monday, January 30, 2012

What a start to the new year!

I know its been awhile since I posted. I would say a few things have happened since the beginning of the year...

My first thing was going to the ER after shopping all day at the mall thinking the minor cramps I had would go away. The nausea was the nail in my coffin... Mike wasn't gonna let me go home either (I tried blowing it off once we left the mall and got into the van) Nope... So all three of us took the jot over to the ER and waited. I sent Mike home with Amber and sat there bored off my toushy with what felt like a period cramp, thinking it was just a cyst and wow what waste of money this ER trip was going to be. Mike came back right before they took me upstairs.

After being admitted and getting the correct arm band (three times it took for them to get the right band to scan - the poor girl trying to draw blood was just frantic trying to make sure it got corrected) They sent me down to get a quick CT, easily done after I was told my head wasn't going into the machine (I'm just a tad claustrophobic and I think the look on my face when we entered the room made the girl explain how the machine worked).

After 10 mins the doctor showed back up in my room and told me, well its your appendix. Mike laughed, that was his bet and I lost a buck I think. Well more than that, cause the suckers took me into surgery in less than 2 hrs from that and by 7pm I was awake with my first surgery scars and one less organ.

All seemed good til week 2 of recovery, I couldn't keep much down and my right side started hurting severely. When I saw the surgeon for a check up, the lovely (she really was pretty for a doc) assistant pressed on my gallbladder and they both looked at each other - like some mental talk so I wouldn't know. Then he said if it got worse or anything else happened to call. He really wanted to make sure it wasn't from surgery - since it was my first I was like 'ok' and left. That night I was in so much pain I called the nurse hotline and then the surgeon on call. He didn't seem too happy to be answering a phone call at 9pm but too bad this girl was in pain she never felt before. He said to call in the morning and make an apt. So I did - for the next day, ughhh one more day to go through this pain.

Well it didn't go as planned... Amber was sick and had an apt with our regular doctor (who knew nothing of my problems or surgery yet) So another day, another apt with a doctor. Welllllll I had my first accident on the way there and turned around and came home to change. I told the nurse when we got there why we were late and she scheduled me to be scene as well. Amber got like 5 mins with the doc and the rest of the time he looked at me and it was determined with his phone calls to the surgeon that my gallbladder now had to come out.

So another day, another apt with a doctor. The surgeon walked in, said its my choice to have it out and by the way you do have gallstones (geez glad someone told me! he apparently saw them on the original CT scan and thought I knew). I made sure to tell him I only saw the doc yesterday because of Ambers scheduled apt and when they heard what was going on saw me. His attitude seemed to change (think he was upset I saw a doctor in between his apts??? Yeah I'm thinking so!) And so he scheduled my next surgery for the very next day. He didn't mention that he had to go BACK through my belly button again... found that out afterwards, damn that one hurt bad, the rest no so much.

So yep, surgery went well, 2 week appointment came and guess what, I have some weird pain... the assistant sees me this time and yeah she agrees I could possibly have a cracked rib. GREAT anything else you guys want to tell me while I'm here. She looks at the paper and tell me the appendix was so bad it was leaking and ready to go. The gallbladder was inflamed and enlarged and there was so many gallstones they didn't bother counting. Really... that many and no one thought to say anything. *shaking head*

So another day, another apt with a doctor. I saw my reg doc this time and he wanted another CT run. Rule out infection, abscess, and other things I had no idea about til later (they were looking to see if my pancreas was ok). I will say this was NOT like my other CT - I walked into a blunder of surprises and the nurse was wayyy pissed that I wasn't told that I had to drink not 1 but 2 barium bottles of fluid and have an IV. But since I was dehydrated and hadn't had anything to drink per docs office instructions they had a horrible time getting my IV in. Another upset moment by the nurse. I have a few marks before I asked for the ultrasound iv specialist (they come down with a little machine and located your veins). She hit it once and got it... love that girl!! 1 bottle down and the IV in and I was ready for the machine - I told her 2 bottles and it would be on the floor by her feet in seconds. :) CT turned out ok, I have a cracked rib. Nothing anyone can do for me.

So another day, another apt with a doctor. - Nooo just kidding... it was like grand central station just phone calls from offices on checking up on me. So 4 weeks - 2 surgeries and 1 cracked rib later I'm just trying to relax and wait the rib out. All the incisions are healed and itchy (ughhh) but it all looks good. We've also met our lovely 4500.00 deductible for the year so we can do or see anyone now and not worry LOL OYE!!


Blog Credit:
Graphics used on page are from digital scrapbooking kit Sugar Rush by Flergs and Ziska. Blog arranged by Designs by Sarah using her Blog Design Service.